19 August 2009

Verbal Abuse

A brilliant article and must-read on verbal abuse can be found here.
Here are some verses for the victim:
1Pe 2:23 NASB - and while being reviled, He did not revile in return; while suffering, He uttered no threats, but kept entrusting {Himself} to Him who judges righteously;
1Pe 3:9 NASB - not returning evil for evil or insult for insult, but giving a blessing instead; for you were called for the very purpose that you might inherit a blessing.
1Pe 3:10 NASB - For, "THE ONE WHO DESIRES LIFE, TO LOVE AND SEE GOOD DAYS, MUST KEEP HIS TONGUE FROM EVIL AND HIS LIPS FROM SPEAKING DECEIT.
Rom 12:19 NASB - Never take your own revenge, beloved, but leave room for the wrath {of God,} for it is written, "VENGEANCE IS MINE, I WILL REPAY," says the Lord.
Rom 12:21 NASB - Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
Pro 19:11 NASB - A man's discretion makes him slow to anger, And it is his glory to overlook a transgression.
Psa 142:1 NASB - I cry aloud with my voice to the LORD; I make supplication with my voice to the LORD.
Psa 142:2 NASB - I pour out my complaint before Him; I declare my trouble before Him.
Psa 142:5 NASB - I cried out to You, O LORD; I said, "You are my refuge, My portion in the land of the living.
Psa 142:6 NASB - "Give heed to my cry, For I am brought very low; Deliver me from my persecutors, For they are too strong for me.
Pro 15:1 KJV - A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger.


The admonition to love our enemies applies here too.

Here are some verses for the offender:

Mat 12:34 NASB - "You brood of vipers, how can you, being evil, speak what is good? For the mouth speaks out of that which fills the heart.
Mat 12:35 NASB - "The good man brings out of {his} good treasure what is good; and the evil man brings out of {his} evil treasure what is evil.
Mat 12:36 NASB - "But I tell you that every careless word that people speak, they shall give an accounting for it in the day of judgment.
Mat 12:37 NASB - "For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned."
Mark 9:42 KJV - And whosoever shall offend one of [these] little ones that believe in me, it is better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he were cast into the sea.

Col 3:8 NASB - But now you also, put them all aside: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and abusive speech from your mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment