20 August 2009

Throwing Spears

From "A Tale of Three Kings" by Gene Edwards

God has a university. It's a small school. Few enroll, even fewer graduate. Very, very few indeed.

God has this school because He does not have broken men. Instead He has several other types of men. All of these He has in abundance; but broken men, hardly at all. Why are there so few students? Because all who are in this school must suffer much pain.

David did not know what to do when a spear was thrown at him. Nor did he make any spears of his own and throw them. Something was different about David. All he did was dodge. He discovered three things that prevented him from ever being hit.

1. Never learn anything about the fashionable, easily-mastered art of spear throwing.
2. Stay out of the company of all spear throwers.
3. Keep your mouth tightly closed.

In this way, spears will never touch you, even when they pierce your heart.

[An allegorical exchange between Joab and David]
Joab: "Many times he almost speared you to death in his castle. Tonight you had him at the end of his own spear and you did nothing!"

David: "Better he kill me than I learn his ways [and] become as he is. I shall not practice the ways that cause kings to go mad. I will not throw spears, nor will I allow hatred to grow in my heart. I will not avenge. Not now. Not ever!"

No comments:

Post a Comment